Sunday, October 01, 2006

Where to Begin?

I'm writing this on a beautiful fall day. Fall is a season of change. A few weeks ago I started thinking about what I might want to change in my life, and what I've come up with so far is that I want to be more involved in the state of the world. This is a wonderful place we live in. I love my city, province, country, and planet. On the other hand, I look around and see that there is much that needs to change. I want to do something to improve the state that the world is in, but I don’t know which issue I would start with. Do I begin with the poverty in my neighbourhood, or the unsatisfactory politics of my province? Do I focus on bigger issues across the globe, like the crisis in the Middle East, AIDS in Africa, or global warming? I have wondered for a long time what issues I should get involved in, and before I usually ended up doing nothing. Now I am determined to do something, but I still don’t know where to begin. I think I need to look carefully around me, and learn as much as I can about what’s going on. Then I can figure out what I think of it all, and make more informed decisions. As I do that, I will use this blog to record my thoughts. I hope that it will spark dialogue. It could be that those of you that read this will have ideas and knowledge that I could benefit from. It could also happen that my thoughts could make other people think twice, and if that occurs, then I will already have made a bit of difference.

No comments: